Monday, June 8, 2009

Some things are more important than racing!

The year before last, 2007, a acquaintance at work, John Neer, hurt his ribs racing his kart. He asked if I'd like to race/fill-in for him at Oswego Speedway. I had no clue. I was brought-up watching racing at the Glen and Mt. Tremblaunt, much like John. But I never actually raced.

So of course I said sure. The kart has a hard shell seat and John weighs maybe 120lb. and I weighed about 220lb. Well, I squeezed into that seat and hit the track. When I came out, my hip bones were cut and bleeding. It didn't matter, I had the thrill of my life. It was so intense, more physically and mentally demanding than anything I've done. I can put 1,000lb on my shoulders and pump-out squats, while snorting smelling salts to keep from passing-out. Driving the kart topped it!

I ended up buying my own kart to race the following season and John and I raced most every weekend at our new home at Cherry Valley Motorsports Park.

One race, I was following Johnny downhill after the hairpin through a set of S-turns. The outside was marked with a bunch of big old dirt track Hoosier super mod tires. Well, Johnny got pushed into the tires by another kart and bounced off them like a helicopter. I kept my foot in it and went on by, but was freakin' out about Johnny. The last image I had of Johnny & kart was not good and I was really ... I can't use the correct language to describe my feelings! But I would never lift and neither would Johnny. I come around to the flag stand/finish line and they are throughin' the Red Flag. They stopped the race and I panicked!!!! Again, I can't accurately describe my emotions!

On a Red flag everyone is supposed to come to a controlled stop. I jammed the brake, spun and stalled. I saw the track officials running toward the tires I saw Johnny hit. I panicked! The main strait is filled with stopped karts and mine is facing the other way. I jump out and start running toward the tires! Helmet on and waving to everyone to follow me!!!!!!

Well as I'm freaking right the you know what out, trying to get everyone's attention to save Johnny, Chris is yelling at me that Johnny is OK. Only she knew what was driving the lunatic! I looked back at the grid/main straight and frickin' Johnny is there sitting in his kart. I can't believe it! The picture I have in my head of Johnny in the tires then and now is like King Richard or Bobby Allison in the fence at Daytona.

I walked with Chris back down to the grid and Johnny wanted to know WTF I'm doing! I didn't know whether to kiss him or punch him in the helmet! Anyways, he thought the whole thing was the coolest ride/wreck he'd been on since .... I wanted to kill him! He was having a ball! I told him I thought he was toast and crapped my pants. That only made the moment more special for Johnny and then we all laughed! That was just Johnny!
Well this last friday morning, Johnny got on his motorcycle to come to work. He had a terrible headache. He ended up having to pull his bike over from the pain. Johnny safely stoped his bike, but went down to the ground.

Johnny had a severe brain aneurysm. He underwent emergency brain surgery as soon as he got to the hospital. He went to ICU and fought for his life. I left work and went to the ICU.

No words can describe ...

Just like with the tire barrier, Johnny is coming back. Each day he is showing more improvement and signs of recovery. Last night he pulled his breathing tube out, so he breathing on his own now. Today he opened his eyes and is even try to talk/swear. He's really started looking like Johnny again. His face got really swollen from the brain surgery and it just didn't look that much like the Johnny I know. I have to look at his hands. I know his hands from all the time we've spent wrenching feverishly in the pits to change gears, clutches and other crap. There was still a bandade on his right index finger.

That's my race update for this last weekend. I hope I never have another like it and I know that the day Johnny is back will be better than any victory!!
Get better real soon Brother!!!! We Love You

No comments:

Post a Comment