Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cherry Valley Motor Sports Park 7/19/09

We had high hopes for the race because we had left the kart with Joe for the week to find some speed in the kart. He replaced the front spindles and aligned everything. I also got new bodywork and changed my number (see blog below).

Well, heat #1 turned out to be what is turning out to be the typical slugfest. Everyone is all hyped-up and over-aggressive the first heat. Anyways, I started outside front row and the first hairpin went clean, came out P2. Held on for a couple of laps, but then karts started going by. Then they'd all tangle and I'd go by. Then they would catch me back up, I hold for a couple laps and they'd cycle back by. Then they did it again! I went by again and thought I had them. But they caught back up and a couple got by. The kart was not running well, obviously. I changed gears between heats.

Chris had a nearby horse show/charitable event to help with and missed the first heat. She was back for the second heat though. I started out back and unfortunately, that is where I stayed. Very frustrating!
In the feature, I continued to struggle. I watched the #36 touch wheels with the #0 in the exact same place I touched wheels with the #36 the first week (see bottom blog) and fly off the track. A ton of gravel and dirt was thrown across the track. Unfortunately, stunts and spins where my only opportunity for advancement. I was not going to cause any of it, I was off pace a bit. I would race to a point, but didn't race as hard as I would normally. I almost caught one more kart before the finish, but almost doesn't mean nothin'.


Before we left the track, we began making arrangements with Joe and Jason for a test & tuning session on next Saturday, before we repeat another poor race day like today. We also discussed having Jason spend a little time coaching me on the track. He follow me to see my line and I follow him to learn how it should be done. Jason would also drive my kart to better determine what needed to be adjusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment